Thursday, January 20, 2011

Today's Workout: 3 Miles

Today was an easy run of 3 miles- ran it at a 9:47 pace w/ 1 minute walk breaks every mile (pace includes walk breaks.) I'm pleased with that number, but definitely want to see it go down-down-down. My neighborhood is hilly, but I know a lot of my issues with speed have to do with the junk in the trunk (and the chest, arms, legs, etc.) :)

I wanted to also comment on something that dawned on me yesterday. As upset as I got over that Disney waiter perhaps assuming that I did not run a marathon, I made my own assumption the morning of the race.

When I hopped onto the monorail to head over to Epcot, another runner came on with her Goofy bib (half marathon on Saturday and then the marathon on Sunday.) I noticed it- congratulated her on her accomplishment the day before and then asked "Did you walk the half-marathon?" She didn't bat an eye and said "Yes- and it wasn't that bad." We made small talk all the way to the entrance of the gathering area for runners near the start and then parted ways. Not a bad chat and when I saw her later in the day, I made a point to say hi again.

Now, you might ask, "what is your point Jenny?" Well, my point is that the reason I had asked her if she had walked the half-marathon is because she was overweight. She was tall, but she was also a big girl- probably bigger than me. And, because of this, I automatically assumed that she wouldn't be able to run both races.

So, here I am a hypocrite. As miffed as I was towards that waiter, I did the same damn thing a few days before. Made an assumption based on someone's weight. So, lesson learned- never ASSume. You might be right, but you might also be unnecessarily hurting someone's feelings in the process. I don't know how I made that runner feel, but I'll be sure not to make that mistake again.

No comments: