Tuesday, January 18, 2011

About a week ago, I accomplished something that I never thought I would- I ran a marathon. And, to make it more fun for myself, I chose to run 26.2 miles at Disney World and it could not have been a better choice.

So, here I am, running for over 5 hours and 14 minutes- and I still don't feel like I did enough. Even before the marathon, I was sometimes embarrassed to even mention that I was going to run a race, 'cause I felt like I was too heavy to even be considered able to do something like that. I even got a few looks of "really?" in the weeks before the race- it hurt BUT it was a fair assessment- here I was, clearly overweight and doing something very athletic.

After the race, that feeling didn't go away- I was wearing my medal at the park like a lot of other runners when a waiter looked at Josh and said "Did you run the marathon?" He's not even wearing a medal, but the waiter assumed that he had run it, 'cause, well, he looks like he could be a runner. Me on the other hand- not so much. The waiter did correct himself right after and congratulated me, but his initial comment did not go unnoticed.

So, my first reaction is to be upset- I'm only 35lbs overweight- why shouldn't I be able to run a marathon? I finished in 5hrs 14min. and that's with stopping to take pictures of characters and some walk breaks. So, clearly I can run a marathon, so why do I feel like I still have something to prove? Oh yah- I didn't fail the Disney Marathon- what I did was fail myself and my personal goals.

I wanted to be at or near my goal weight- I wanted to finish under 5hrs (initially the goal was to finish under 4hrs, but that goal came and went)- and I wanted to finish the race. I did the latter, but 1 out of 3 isn't great, especially for someone like me who is incredibly goal-oriented.

So, next year, I want to wear my medal with pride. I want to be able to look at myself and know that I accomplished something awesome- I ran a half-marathon and a marathon (yep- that's right, I'm going to do the Goofy Challenge!) in one weekend and I ran it well!


No comments: